Independent Kilnforming, Lampworking Studio Rental is a unique opportunity and a big perk for those who take OATKA School of Glass classes or for glass artists that just need to use our large selection of kilns, cold working equipment, lamp-working area.
Visit our store to select from a wide selection of fusible glass, glass frit, glass rods, molds, tools and supplies. Purchase the glass you need and keep your scraps for future projects. Learn studio practices, get exposure to diverse methods and materials, program the kilns, coldwork your own work, and be inspired by fellow members of the glass community.
A staff member will be on hand to answer questions and serve as a guide.
Anyone who has taken a kiln-forming, lampworking or glassblowing class at O-AT-KA School of Glass may attend. If you have not taken a workshop at our facilities, you will need to let us know what type of experience you have and photos of your work before you can come in for any of the Independent Studio Rental times.
Fusing Independent Studio Time: The basic rate is $15/hour, and the required minimum prepay is 2 hours. You can purchase a block of 10 hours of studio time for $120.00. This includes the use of basic tools, glass adhesive, protective eyewear, and glass cleaner. Additional charges for glass, kiln firings, and mold rental will apply and must be paid for the day that you are in the studio. Please see the pricing schedule for kiln rental costs, and mold rental costs.
Bead Torch (Lampworking) Independent Studio Time: The basic rate is $15/hour but a block of 10 hours can be purchased for $120.00 ($12.00/hour). This includes torch time, pre-dipped mandrels (to make your glass beads on), use of the basic tool kit and safety glasses, and kiln time for annealing your lampwork beads. We have a selection of glass rods to purchase in the studio if you do not have your own glass rods. Specialized beadmaking glass rods, tools and materials are available through special order.
For safety reason, bead torch time is available only to those who have had at least one lampworking class. If you have never worked with glass or a torch we require that you enroll in our or another lampworking class. Your first session will be monitored to ensure that you are comfortable using the equipment safely, and will treat the equipment with care.
To reserve your spot, you must call O-AT-KA School of Glass and pay a $10 deposit, which will be applied to Independent Studio Rental fees accrued at the reserved session. The deposit is nonrefundable, unless you call to cancel your reservation at least 48 hours before the session starts. No exceptions.
- You can bring your own glass and tools but we also sell glass and various tools and supplies at our store on the premises. We stock a selection of Moretti/Effetre, Bullseye and System96 glass rods and frit which is available to purchase for a nominal fee. Customers must always reserve a spot in Open Studio in advance. Call 585 230 7626 or email us with a phone number so we can contact you to setup a time to come in.
- An O-AT-KA School of Glass staff member must and will be present during Open Studio. Kilns must be programmed when a staff member is present.
- When designing your pieces, factor in our shelf dimensions (below) plus a 1/2” distance between your piece and the shelf edge, in all directions.
- Choose slumping molds before designing your pieces. Molds may be fired together with others to fill a complete kiln (sizes below), if the firing schedules are similar. Note: Dimensions listed in catalogs for slumping molds are for the mold at its largest points and are not intended as glass-cutting measure-ments.
- Since studio storage space is limited, you may not leave materials or tools in the studio for any extended period of time, and you must pick up your fired pieces in a timely fashion. Many of our regular bead makers store their glass with us to save schlepping it back and forth.
- It is possible to arrange to bring in projects for firing outside of Independent Studio Time. Please call or e-mail Lance or Amanda Taylor to make arrangements.
- OATKA School of Glass will not be held responsible for damage to items left on the premises or projects that fail due to customer negligence or error.
KILN RENTAL COSTS:
- Use of Vitrigraph Kiln – $40.00/firing (1 available) includes glass
- Use of Olympic 146GFE Square Kiln – 13” kiln shelf, 6.5” depth – $20.00/day (3 available)
- Use of Evenheat GTS 12-3 Round Kiln – 14” round kiln shelf, 9” depth – $20.00/day
- Use of Paragon GL-24 Square Kiln – 22” kiln shelf, 15” depth – $35.00/day
- Use of Paragon GL-20 Square Kiln – 19″X20” kiln shelf, 13” depth – $30.00/day
- Use of Evenheat GTS4521 Oval Kiln – 40” X 25” kiln shelf – 13” depth – $40.00/day (2 available)
- Use of Evenheat GTS 23-13 Round Kiln – 19” Round kiln shelf – 13.5” depth – $35.00/day
- Use of Shimpo ConeArt BX2827D Round Ceramic Kiln – 2 – 13.5” Half-Round kiln shelf, 28” depth – $60.00/day
- Use of Olympic GF17E kiln – 26.5” x 52” kiln shelf, 15” depth – $150/day
- Thin-Fire (glass and kiln shelf separator)
- 20.5” X 20.5” sheet – $4.25 each (cheaper if you buy more than 1)
- 41” wide – $4.00/linear foot (ie. 41” X 12”)
- Ceramic fibre is also available in 1/16”, 1/8”, ¼”, ½” & 1” thicknesses. Please ask about pricing.
- Mold rental $5 per mold
COLDWORKING EQUIPMENT RENTAL COSTS:
Large Pressure Pot Sandblaster access is $60.00/hour with 1/2 hour minimum.
Coldworking studio access $65/hour with 1 hour minimum. This includes full use of
The following equipment is available
- Floor model Somaca wet belt sander
- 12” ASW horizontal diamond lap grinder
- 24” ASW horizontal diamond lap grinder
- Spatzier glass lathe (only available to customers that have coldworking with a lathe experience or have taken our coldworking workshop).
- Wet Tile saw
- Diamond hand finishing pads (We do recommend you get your own set of these which we sell on the premises.